On August 2, Alice and the girls will be roadtripping! Check out this e-mail from our fun Starbucks friend, Bob. Of course, we will have a full report on the Blog. (You may remember Bob from an earlier posting, S&S Excitement!)
On Saturday the 2nd of August, I will be heading 50 miles east to McBee, South Carolina, exploring Bigs, the meat market & sandwich shop and The McLeod Farms Roadside Market. The cafĂ© offers homemade chicken salad purported to be the best in the state and other light fare including homemade (Really? We’ll see about that.) ice cream made from peaches and berries grown on McLeod Farm. Bigs also has a freezer of its signature casseroles ready to take home and bake.
The 92 year-old farm heralds thirty varieties of peaches! Blackberries will also be in season as well as sweet corn, squash, cucumbers, eggplant, bell peppers, okra, tomatoes, cantaloupes, watermelons, scuppernongs, and muscadines.
The Market Bakery has fresh pies, cakes and bread. Mac’s Pride Brand jars feature fruits and vegetables grown and packed on the farm. The boiled peanuts grew-up here as did those in the fresh-ground peanut butter.
I’m leaving Starbucks in Trenholm Plaza at 10:30 AM. We’ll have you back about 3 PM, soon enough to rest-up before your night on the town. Your $10 travel contribution is your only expense other than what you devour and what you tote home. I’m taking a small cooler in case I end up with a casserole, some peaches, a loaf of Pee Dee Rye, and a peanut. Feel free to do the same. Call me at 467-3782 in case you want to pile in.
All I can guarantee is South Carolina fun and adventure.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment